CONVENT OF CHRIST
The Convent of Christ is a previous Roman Catholic monastery in the communal parish of Tomar e Santa Maria dos Olivais, in the Central region municipality of Tomar. in the beginning a twelfth century Templar stranglehold, when the arrange was softened in the fourteenth century the Portuguese division was twisted into the Knights of the sort of Christ, that afterward hold up Portugal’s maritime detections of the fifteenth century. The Convent and fortress multifaceted is a significant and civilizing memorial which was scheduled in the record of UNESCO World Heritage list.
Enfold in splendor and obscurity, the Knights Templar detained huge power in Portugal from the twelfth to sixteenth centuries, and for the most part financed the era of Discoveries. Their head office is seated on woody slopes above the city and is together with this within twelfth century ramparts. The Convento de Cristo is a rocky look of radiance, established by Gualdim Pais, impressive Master of the Templars. It has chapels, covered passages and choirs in deviating styles, additional over the centuries by consecutive kings and magnificent Masters.
The interior is decorated with paintings by Portuguese artists, and some polychrome wood carvings. The main cloister is the most emblematic and important faculty of all the cloisters of the Convent of Christ. It was built largely by Diogo de Torralva. It is known as Cloister two Philips in honor of Philip II, who girded here the crown of Portugal in 1581.It consists of two floors with Tuscan columns on the ground floor and Ionic on top. Its decor is sparse, which contrasts sharply with the Manueline decoration ship. It has three windows, although only two are visible. The first is on the right, as you enter the main cloister. To see the most famous should turn down the cloister of Santa Barbara window. Window do Chapter is the work of most amazing Manueline decoration in Portugal. It is the work of architect Diogo de Arruda, and was sculpted from 1510 to 1513 from the roots of an oak, which are supported by the bust of a captain. The decor climbs up along two masts with multiple gimped. It has marine plant motifs including corals, cordage, algae, ropes and chains are distinguished. The whole is topped with the emblems of King Manuel II and with the cross of the Order of Christ, which is also found on the railing that encircles the ship. The window is tied with a rope two turrets, one surrounded by a chain symbolizing the Order of the Golden Fleece; and the other by a ribbon, representing the Order of the Garter.
The windowpane on the cathedral’s western side is the most well known and fantastical characteristic of the monastery. It is the eventual in Manueline over spending, a carnival of the era of unearthing; a Medusa intertwine of twisting ropes, seaweed and plug boats, on the top of which drifts the traverse of the systematize of Christ and the imperial arms and armillary globes of Dom Manuel. It is best observed from the top of the neighboring Claustro de Santa Barbara.