A study by the Center for Sleep Studies at Lough borough University in England found that women needed 20 minutes more sleep than men to recover from the fatigue of their daily activities.
“an English university found that women need more sleep than men to regain the energy they expend during the Day.”
The study succeeded in establishing that the more a person uses the brain during the day, the more hours of sleep he needs to recover. Women must take care of different tasks with their work, the care of the children, the housework, the market, the payment of the services, the feeding all these activities imply an extra requirement in the brain reason why, They require more hours of sleep.
“The more a person uses the brain during the day” and that is the case for women. On the other hand, the study also managed to establish that as the night elapses the sleep of the women becomes lighter, which facilitates that the noises of the house like the crying of a child or alarms can wake up with more facility than To men.
Finally, Horme explains that the brains of women are different from men’s, theirs is much more complex. This is a possible explanation as to why they need to rest more.
So…What are the Best Sleeping Recommendations?
- Sleep hygiene is aimed at implementing measures that facilitate sleep and avoid behaviors or situations that prevent its concretion.
- Limiting the use of stimulants (such as caffeine or nicotine) and includes aspects related to dietary intake, physical exercise, and the bedroom environment.
- The interference of lights such as cell phones, televisions and tablets are very harmful because they inhibit the secretion of melatonin, the natural hormone that opens the doors of sleep.
- As for food , it is well known that an abundant and rich protein dinner stimulates the digestive function and interferes with sleep.
- Finally, the existing evidence in relation to exercise and sleep leads to recommending the patient with insomnia to avoid physical exercise during the last part of the evening and night, that is, 3 to 4 hours prior to bedtime, since their Realization will result in an uneasy and unrefreshing dream.
- It is advisable for patients to carry out a regular morning exercise program outdoors.
- Early morning natural light and melatonin supplementation 30 minutes before expected sleep are the most effective means of preserving sleep / wake rhythm.
Another crucial aspect in a society that has limited us sleep like the present is the recovery of the dream lost at the weekend. Saturdays and Sundays without alarm clocks or obligations that resemble the days of the week are an intelligent response to this social demand, often inevitable.