Keloid scars are hard fibrous scar tissue and appear abruptly on the skin. The exact cause of keloid scars is still unknown. It is believed that when the top layer of skin is damaged or torn, they form the collagen at the site as part of the healing process. A keloid scar develops when there is excess collagen production at the site. It can continue to grow slowly for years.
Keloid scars usually appear when there has been trauma or damage such as acne, chickenpox, minor burns, cuts, ear piercings, insect bites, shots, and other skin abrasions.
These dome-shaped scars are usually flesh colored, pink or red. The affected area may be tender to the touch and itchy. It has been found that people with a darker complexion are more prone to this problem. Hereditary factors may also contribute to the problem.
People look for ways to get rid of these scars, as they can be unpleasant and annoying. You can try cortisone injections or laser therapy, but these treatments can be costly and have side effects. Instead, you can try out some simple remedies at home.
Here are the top 9 ways to get rid of Keloid Scars :
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is very effective for the treatment of keloid scars. Helps keep the skin well moisturized and also helps in regenerating the damaged skin surface. In addition, it has a cooling effect that will reduce itching.
- Split an aloe Vera leaf to extract your gel.
- Apply a thin layer of aloe Vera gel in the area.
- Allow to dry on its own so that the medicinal properties are fully absorbed by the skin.
- Apply five or six times a day for several days.
Note: This remedy works best on fresh scars may not be effective on scars that are over one year old.
Honey is one of the best natural moisturizers that can heal as well as moisturize the skin. These two factors are of great help in the treatment of keloid scars. It will promote blood circulation avoiding excess collagen production and the accumulation of dead skin.
- Apply fresh organic honey generously over the scars.
- Gently massage the area for 10 minutes.
- Leave on for about an hour and then rinse with warm water.
- Do this twice daily for several weeks to reduce keloid scars.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice has been found to be very effective in mild keloid scars. It has vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that helps get rid of different types of scars, including keloid scars. Other elements in lemon juice also help to regenerate and repair damaged skin.
- Extract the juice of a medium-sized fresh lemon.
- Apply the juice on the scar.
- Let it act for about half an hour, then rinse with warm water.
- Dry and then apply a little moisturizer to keep the area moisturized.
- Do this twice a day for a month to get good results.
If you use this resource on a regular basis, you will see considerable transformation in the shadow of the top layer of skin cells, causing the scar to be less noticeable.
4. Baking Soda
Sodium bicarbonate can be used to reduce the appearance of keloid scars, promoting the development of healthy skin layer. It also acts as an abrasive agent and helps exfoliate the skin, keeping it free of dirt, debris and dead cells.
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda and three teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area with a cotton ball.
- Leave on for 15 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
- Do this three or four times a day for at least a month to reduce keloid scars.
5. Essential Lavender Oil
Lavender essential oil contains skin cell rejuvenation properties that can help treat keloid scars. In addition, this essential oil enhances the restoration of the skin, which in turn helps to prevent the scars that become permanent.
- You should soak a cotton in lavender oil and apply to the affected area.
- Massage the area gently for 15 minutes. When the oil is absorbed by the skin, the scars become soft and begin to heal.
- Follow this remedy twice a day for a month to get positive results.
Alternatively, you can prepare a mixture with half a teaspoon of lavender essential oil and marigold essential oil and 10 teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Mix well the ingredients.
- Apply a small amount of the mixture to the scar.
- Massage for 10 minutes and then leave for at least 20 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
- And store the remaining mixture in a dark, dry place and you can use it for up to one month.
- Follow this remedy once a day until you get positive results
Garlic is very effective in reducing the appearance of keloid scars. A study conducted at the University of Aarhus in Denmark in 1994, which was published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology, found that garlic extract affects the growth of fibroblast cells, which is responsible for the growth of a keloid scar.
- Must crush three or four cloves of fresh garlic.
- Apply the crushed garlic to the affected area and let it act for about 15 minutes. Then wash with warm water.
- Dry and then apply a moisturizing lotion.
- Follow this simple remedy once a day for a month to get positive results.
You can also apply the garlic oil on the affected skin twice a day for a month to lighten the scar. If the garlic oil causes some kind of discomfort, you should wash it immediately with warm water.
7. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an excellent home remedy to get rid of keloid scars. Certain elements of apple cider vinegar help to remove deposits of fat under the skin. In addition, its acidic property can exfoliate and soften the skin and, in turn, reduce the appearance of scars.
- Mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of water in a cup.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the solution to the affected area.
- Leave to act for half an hour, then wash with water.
- Continue this remedy three or four times a day for a couple of weeks.
8. Extra virgin olive oil
Extra virgin olive oil can also improve the appearance of keloid scars. Extra virgin olive oil has a high level of acidity that exfoliates the outer layer of the skin. In addition to having vitamin E and K help break the scar tissue as well as keep the skin soft and well moisturized.
- Take a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and apply it to the affected area.
- You should gently massage the area with small circular movements until the oil is completely absorbed by the skin.
- Repeat this remedy several times a day until you get the desired result.
Alternatively, use the extra virgin olive oil as an exfoliant.
- Mix one teaspoon of olive oil and baking soda to make a paste.
- Apply the paste over the affected area and massage gently for five to 10 minutes. Then rinse with warm water.
- Do this once a day until you are satisfied with your skin texture.
Sandalwood is another very effective natural ingredient that will help you get rid of keloid scars. Sandalwood has regenerative properties of the skin that will soothe and reduce the appearance of all types of scars.
- Add enough water or rose water to a tablespoon of sandalwood powder to make a thick paste.
- Apply this thick paste over the scars before going to bed.
- Leave all night. In the morning, wash with warm water.
- Do this daily for one or two months to see an improvement.
If these natural remedies do not work for you, talk to your dermatologist or doctor for other treatment options