Vick VapoRub has been around for over 100 years and is one of the most used over-the-counter decongestants.The topical topical cream is commonly used in the chest, back and neck to treat nasal congestion and cough.
Its medicinal properties come from its active ingredients, including camphor, eucalyptus oil and menthol. It also contains other inactive ingredients such as cedar leaf oil, nutmeg oil, petroleum jelly, thymol, turpentine oil and lemon fragrance.
Apart from being used to treat nasal congestion and cough, Vicks VapoRub has a number of other amazing uses.
Here are 9 amazing uses of Vicks VapoRub you’ve never know that..
1. It is used to treat cracked heels
To keep your heels healthy, smooth and free from unsightly cracks, Vicks VapoRub is just the right ingredient to consider.
Due to its oil content of menthol, camphor and turpentine, this ointment helps trap moisture and heal cracked heels.
- Before bed, soak your feet in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Rub the cracked areas with a pumice stone for a couple of minutes to get rid of dead skin cells.
- Wash the area with clean water and dry thoroughly.
- Apply a little Vicks on your feet and heels, and massage gently.
- Wear socks and wear at night.
- The next morning, wash your feet with warm water.
- Repeat this every night until your cracked heels have completely disappeared
2. The muscles relieve Achy
To relieve sore, overworked and aching muscles, Vicks VapoRub is a quick fix.
Menthol increases blood circulation and provides rapid relief of muscle pain.
- Rub a generous amount of Vicks VapoRub into the muscles that are causing pain.
- Massage gently for 5 minutes.
- Wrap the area with a dry, warm towel.
- Lie down for a while to allow the balm to do its job.
- Repeat this remedy 2 or 3 times a day.
3. Combat toenail fungus
To keep your feet happy and free of nail fungus, you can use a bottle of Vicks VapoRub as an effective remedy.
The thymol ingredient in Vicks aids to inhibit the growth of the fungus, possibly due to its antiseptic, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.A 2011 study published in the Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine found Vicks VapoRub to have a positive clinical effect in the treatment of onychomycosis.
- Apply Vicks on the infected nail, cover with a gauze and put on your socks.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times a day until the nail becomes dark and the nail grows outward.
- Finally, cut the dark part.
- Keep applying Vicks for a couple of weeks in order to get rid of any remaining fungi and bacteria.
Note: Make sure your toenail is completely dry before putting Vicks in it.
4. Smoothies insect bites
If you suffer from chigger, ants, mosquitoes or other insects, Vicks VapoRub can provide immediate relief from the itching and burning sensation.
The Vicks menthol cooling in calm itching sensation. It also reduces the risk of blisters and infections.
- Wash the area with cold water.
- Take some Vicks VapoRub, add a little table salt to it and mix well.
- Apply it to the affected area.
- Repeat again if necessary.
5. Eliminate Acne
The Vicks VapoRub bottle you have in your home can help cure an acne problem. This is, in fact, one of the easiest home remedies for acne.
Menthol can provide quick relief of pain and swelling. In addition, it will help clear up acne in a matter of days.
- Apply a small amount of Vicks VapoRub to the affected area.
- Leave on for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 3 times a day for a few days until your skin is free of acne.
6. Reduces stretch marks
To reduce the visibility of ugly streaks, instead of spending money on expensive creams and lotions, try using Vicks VapoRub.
Its content of methanol and eucalyptus oil naturally helps melt stretch marks. The help of oil of cedar leaf, Vaseline, camphor and turpentine in reducing the dryness of the skin that makes the stretch marks stand out.
In addition, it has the anti-inflammatory property of Eucalyptus, which helps streaks lighten as well as other minor scars.
- Rub a small amount of VapoRub into the skin where you have visible stretch marks.
- Massage with circular movements for one minute.
- Do it twice a day for a couple of weeks to get remarkable results.
7. It is used to treat headaches
For quick relief of tension or sinus headaches, just take out your Vicks VapoRub bottle. It can even help treat a migraine headache.The basic ingredients in it – camphor, eucalyptus oil and menthol – all help in the treatment of headaches.
For tension headaches, rub a little Vicks VapoRub on your temples and forehead, and a gentle massage for quick relief of pain.
8. repels mosquitoes
Mosquitoes support many deadly diseases, such as dengue and malaria. If you want to keep mosquitoes away, Vicks VapoRub acts as the best ecological mosquito repellent. It is also less expensive than commercial repellents available in the market.
- Rub Vicks VapoRub on your neck, inner knees, elbows, behind the ears and other exposed areas to prevent mosquito bites.
- You can also open the Vicks jar and put it on your table outdoors to keep mosquitoes at bay.
If bitten by mosquitoes, rub a bit of Vicks into the area and leave it on for a few minutes to relieve itching.
9. It is used to treat warts
Vicks is also ideal for the treatment of warts, especially periungueal warts. The oil content of methanol, thymol and eucalyptus in it helps kill the virus that causes warts. These compounds also help reduce the size and dry the warts.
Generously apply Vicks VapoRub on the affected area, cover with a gauze and wear socks, or simply cover with tape. Leave on for a few hours or even overnight. Repeat every day for a week or until the wart falls off.
Note: Before applying Vicks VapoRub, make sure your feet are completely dry.