Since ancient times, lemon has been used in both gastronomy, health and beauty. This lemon fruit is characterized by its high contents of vitamin C, citric acid, calcium, magnesium, bioflavonoids, pectin and limonene, which strengthen the immune system have a strong antibacterial and antiviral power to help fight many diseases.
Most people use lemon very often, but almost always we eliminate 50% of it, that is, the peel. Over the years and after much research, it has been found that lemon peel has up to 10 times more vitamin than its juice, minerals and fibers, which favor the elimination of toxins and even works as a rejuvenating agent.
This part of the lemon fruit ignored by most people, surprisingly has shown signs of positive results in the fight against cancer, as it helps to eliminate cancer cells, and even fighting up to 12 types of this disease. But that’s not all, the lemon peel is also good for regulating blood pressure and fighting nervousness.
How to use the lemon peel?
- There are different ways to take advantage of the whole lemon and enjoy all its health properties. One of the most common forms is using its grated , which can be added to various dishes and cocktails. For this, all you have to do is to freeze a whole lemon, and once it is well frozen, grate it well, obviously without peeling it.
- Another way to enjoy the benefits of lemon peel, is to prepare a liquefied lemonade instead of squeezing the lemons. So that it does not have that bitter touch that can be annoying, the ideal thing is to add sugar to the water before adding the lemons and later to liquefy very well all the ingredients until obtaining the delicious and refreshing lemonade.
- Preparing cocktails with lemon peel can give them a very special touch and in step we take advantage of its benefits. For example, you can put a few drops of lemon in tonic vodka and then add the shells.
- And to get the most out of all the benefits of lemon peel, you can also prepare it in tea and drink it every day.
What uses can we give lemon peel?
As our main theme is to let you know the uses you can give lemon peel, here are some ideas for you to enjoy.
1. Flavoring and Flavoring
After obtaining the lemon zest through the frozen lemon technique , we will have a very special flavoring and flavoring to use in the kitchen. It is almost always used in sweet dishes, such as sponge cake or lemon desserts. Just sprinkle some lemon zest and enjoy it.
2. Candied shells
This is a great idea to take advantage of the lemon peels and the best thing is that they can be consumed alone or accompanying different sweet recipes. Do you want to learn how to prepare them?
What should you do?
- Cut the peel of 10 lemons into strips and put them in a pot with boiling water for two minutes.
- It is cooled, the water is poured and the same procedure is repeated twice more.
- Subsequently in another pot, prepare a syrup using 100 grams of sugar and a little water.
- Then the lemon peels are added to the syrup and set over low heat until it dries.
- Finally we remove them and let them dry on baking paper.
3. Flavored Oil
To have a special oil accompanied by the properties of the lemon peel, very carefully cut the lemon peels and put them in a bottle with olive oil . For the aroma and the flavor to be intense, it is left in the bottle for a month.
4. Homemade Lemon Flavoring
To make a homemade flavoring ideal for setting spaces in the home, the lemon and its delicious aroma can be the best ally . Bring to boil in 500 ml of water, 2 whole lemons or just its shell, 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary and a teaspoon of vanilla. Once it is boiling it is removed and allowed to stand for use. To keep it better it can be stored in the refrigerator.
5. Citrus Ice Cubes
Another good idea to enjoy the special touch of the lemon peel in the cocktails , is to put some lemon zest in the cube trays with water to make ice and get some cubes with a different touch.
6. Keep Brown Sugar Loose
Surely you have ever stored your brown sugar in a bowl and shortly afterwards you notice that some parts have become hard blocks. For this not to happen, just add a little lemon zest, being very careful to avoid the white parts.
7. Lemon peel tea
As already mentioned, lemon peel tea is one of the best ways to enjoy all the properties of this ingredient. This infusion is ideal for detoxifying, purifying and eliminating toxins from the body.
How to prepare it?
- Put a liter of water in a pot and bring to the boil.
- When it is already boiling, add the peel of two lemons and boil 15 minutes more over a low heat.
- Before consuming it, add the juice of the two lemons and
- Finally sweeten it with a little stevia if you prefer sweet.